If you have been using a deodorant for a long time and trying to switch to a natural deodorant, you might find the transition difficult. This is because the pits are now clogged with harsh chemicals in deodorants and antiperspirants and their natural processes have come to a halt. So, in order to make the switch from chemical based deodorants and antiperspirants to natural deodorants easier, the armpits should be detoxified first. There are a host of other reasons also why you should detox armpits:
Here is why you should detox your underarms
1. Sweating is a mechanism through which body cools down and removes toxins from our bloodstream through skin. Antiperspirants stop this procedure and interfere with the natural process of body. They contain aluminium compounds that pinch the pores in armpits and prevent sweating. Thus lymph nodes get blocked and may feel lumpy. This stresses the endocrine system and the body immunity takes a beating, making one fall sick more often.
Detoxification of armpits is a way to allow armpits to breathe easy and switch back to their natural ways.
2. They also contain various chemicals like phthalates, formaldehyde and parabens. They get absorbed in the skin and harmful toxins build up in our lymph glands situated in and around armpits. This may be a reason for breast cancer. Chemicals entering directly into the bloodstream cause hormonal imbalances, allergies, inflammation, alzheimer’s etc. The chemicals make a film like layer on armpits which does not wash away and keeps pores clogged.
Detoxification effectively draws out some of the chemical build up and cleanses armpits.
3. If after a long and regular use of chemical based deodorants and antiperspirants, one switches to a natural deodorant, the new deodorant may not seem to be helping in reducing body odour and the person may feel more sweaty and smelly. Rashes and irritation in armpits may occur. Using antiperspirants for a long time gradually interferes with the microbial composition of the skin in armpits and changes the body odour, making it smell worse. Detoxification can help restore this composition which will in turn reduce the offensive odour. It also therefore makes the transition from a chemical deodorant to a natural one easier.
What can you expect after armpit detox
-little or no irritation upon using natural deodorants
-reduced odour and perspiration
-a stronger immune system and reduced proneness to catching infections
Method to detox underarms
1. Use a Bentonite clay cleansing mask
Mix 1 tbsp bentonite clay, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and water in a glass bowl to make a creamy consistency. Apply this like a mask on underarms and allow it to stay for 5-15 minutes, depending on the sensitivity of your skin. Wash with warm water. Use this mask regularly and you will notice that the body odour has reduced. Some redness and irritation may occur initially, to which the body adjusts gradually. Remove the mask immediately if it hurts.
You can also try our clay mask – Clay-o-patra, which has 6 different clays and is very effective in detoxification.
2. Use Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
Apply lemon juice or apple cider vinegar soaked in a cotton ball after thoroughly drying armpits after a bath. The acidity cuts out bacterial growth and keeps body odour away. It also removes the film like layer formed on the armpits due to long use of chemical deodorants and lightens the skin.
3. Wear natural cloth
Wear clothes made of natural fibers, preferably cotton. These absorb sweat and allow the skin to breathe, quite unlike synthetic clothes that trap sweat and germs and smell bad.
4. Drink plenty of water
This helps flush out toxins from the body effectively.
5. Eat your greens
Eat leafy greens along with herbs like mint, parsley, rosemary and sage and wheat grass. They have chlorophyll which is known to reduce body odour. Avoid alcohol, piquant foods like onion and garlic and red meat, spicy food and caffeine.
Though not everyone requires a deodorant after detoxification of armpits, the assurance of wearing one is required by most of the people. Instead of clogging your system again with chemical laden deodorants, switch to a natural deodorant and feel pleasantly fragrant all day long with confidence.