Though it is not known to many of us, coffee grounds are an inexpensive resource for various household uses including beauty purpose. They are anti-oxidant in nature and have great exfoliating and cleansing properties. After reading this article, you are surely going to think twice before throwing away used coffee grounds.
Used Coffee Grounds For Skin And Hair:
1. Facial scrub and wash: Coffee grounds are exfoliating in nature. They are great for use in a facial scrub. When mixed with equal amount of cocoa powder, with a little milk and honey, coffee grounds become a rejuvenating and refreshing facial treatment. Upon combining with a little olive oil and a few drops of essential oil, coffee grounds work well as a face wash.
2. Body scrub: coffee grounds mixed with coconut oil or just plain warm water make a great scrub for the entire body. Scrubbing with this mixture removes dead skin effectively.
3. Hair cleanser: Coffee grounds help in removing the product or oil build up in hair. Upon switching to a natural shampoo and conditioner, the hair need to adjust to the new regimen. This might cause oil and residue build- up in hair. Massaging a handful of used coffee beans onto hair gets rid of the entire residue, while being gentle on the hair. It also imparts great shine and volume to hair. Additionally, it might darken hair colour too.
4. Dark circles remover: Do you have tired looking eyes, dark circles and under eye bags? Make a paste by mixing coffee grounds with water and apply under eyes for 10-15 minutes.
5. Reduce cellulite: Of all the enemies of beauty, cellulite is the most treacherous one. It usually catches one unaware and is very difficult to get rid of. Coffee grounds are known to chase away cellulite in a few weeks. They can be used in various ways for this purpose. Even simply mixing coffee grounds with warm water and applying on affected areas for 10-15 minutes twice or thrice every week regularly can show visible improvement within weeks.
Other household uses
1. A bath for pets: Including coffee grounds in petsâ€™ bath routine is helpful in keeping fleas away. It should be simply rubbed in their fur before rinsing shampoo.
2. Keep away odours: Placing a bowl of coffee grounds in the refrigerator soaks up smells and effectively removes them. Hands can also be scrubbed with it to remove garlic odour.
3. Use in gardening: Coffee grounds are an excellent gardening resource. They can be used as a fertilizer which aerates soil and provides nitrogen and potassium. They also repel slugs and are a favourite of friendly worms. They can be added to the soil straightaway or can be composted along with other organic wastes for a richer fertilizer.
4. Cleaning: The gritty texture of coffee grounds makes it an abrasive agent in and around the house. Hard to remove stains and caked-up dirt can be easily removed from pots and pans, grills, counters and tiles by scrubbing the grounds on them. They remove piled on dirt effectively without damaging the surface.
5. Craft: These humble grounds have many crafty uses as well. They can be used for dyeing fabrics, paper and other craft supplies. They can also be used in making soaps and candles.
Now that you know so many ways of reusing old coffee grounds, a few of them must be appealing enough to be tried. So are your coffee grounds going to be a household tool or a beauty mask to unveil the diva in you? Do share your experience.